Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Stamina!

I think it's tragic but my mom probably has more stamina than I do. I get sick much more often than her, and she does so much more than me in any given day. It's ridiculous! When I told her that I would be working 6 days a week she practically laughed in my face. She told me, I know you, and you won't be able to keep it up for long (to which so far I've still had no problem by the way!).

I think much of our generation suffers this problem. Is it because of the fact that now the average kids spends more time in front of a tv than running around outside? Rather is it because we are more familiar with the McDonald's menu as opposed to the different green vegetables that exist?

Most days, when my friends are not motivating me, I go home and literally crash. Food, books, tv, all lose interest. Sleep and stretching my back really seem to be the only exciting things in life. Most weekdays I don't meet up with friends because I just don't want to get home late. My mom goes out socially very regularly, and is without fail up at 5 the next morning to do yoga or go for a walk.

Something is definitely wrong with this picture. Why are we less healthy and less active than our parents?! And more importantly, how do we change the tides. What builds stamina? Eating right, sleeping early, and exercising! Spending less time in front of the computer, tv, driving, and less sitting in one place (and never sitting straight).
And most of all less work pressure - hard to imagine right?

End of the day, its all about priority! Giving ourselves and our health priority. Otherwise in ten years we're all going to be assigned to bed rest- not my idea of fun! Unfortunately i can never seem to fight this for more than a few days at a time. Otherwise invariably I will go out late with friends, then not wake up early for the gym, then work, then eat out, and so on! grrrrrr!

I think its already late in the game to be realising all this but something has got to click!! Run Run Run!!!!

1 comment:

enigma said...

So true and really scary. I have indeed seen that my 60 year old parents are much more energetic than I am. I noticed this when we recently were on a tour visiting lot of places etc in hot weather. I would feel dead by the time it was a little after noon and want to go back to the hotel room and rest, while my parents would still be energetic and up for more. I think we're all fit only to sit in air conditioned rooms and sip mineral water :-(